|(Nasty Gal El Matador dress)|
- To pattern the garment I traced around a basic dress block and cut it off at the hip
- Insert photo
- I measured the hip and waist lines and extended them both by three times the length (to allow for the gathering in the design)
- I measured the bust and underarm lines and extended them both by three times the length (to allow for the gathering in the sleeve) I altered the arm hole by dropping the opening by 7.5cms (to remove the bulk and make the armhole and sleeve loose as per the design)
- For the sleeve, I traced around a basic sleeve block and made adjustments to allow the sleeve to hang off the shoulder (insert picture) I also extended the sleeve from the underarm and elbow line by three times the length. I then adjusted the armhole to match up with the armhole of the dress pattern piece.
- To create a gathered panel (or cuff) from the elbow line of the sleeve, I measured the bottom edge of the sleeve and added 25%. (insert picture)
- To create a similarly gathered panel on the dress, I measured the hipline and added 25%. (insert picture)
- I cut the pattern pieces (cut on fold) out of lace netting.
- I machine stitched two rows of tacking stitch to create the gathers at the neckline (I repeated the same on the front and back gathered panel pieces.)
- I gathered the front and back necklines to the required length and machine stitched in place.
- I also gathered the sleeve and dress panels to the required length and machine stitched in place. (insert picture)
- I machine stitched the side seams and overlocked the raw edges
- I attached the sleeves by stitching around the armholes and overlocking the raw edges
- To neaten the edges I bias binded the neckline and off-the-shoulder sleeves.
- I machine stitched two shoulder straps in place (see picture)
Adjustments to make:
I was not happy with the length (both dress and sleeve) so I will shorten the final pattern
I will use cheesecloth or muslin for my final fabric as the toile netting did not drape as well as I would have liked.