- I started with a basic skirt block (to the knee) and I then extended it to a floor length maxi skirt.
- I the slashed and spread the front block to create a flared, A-line/circular shape. (photo)
- I traced around the new shape (including hip and kne lines.
- I cut the skirt pattern into panels using the hip and knee lines as the dividing points (photo)
- To create the gathered Gypsy skirt effect I had to extend the panel pieces by 25%. (This gave a total of 100% as there are 4 extended edges to the pattern) (photo)
- I traced around a basic bodice block and sleeve.
- I ignored the darts in the bodice to achieve a less tailored look.
- I used the same slash and spread technique as the skirt, for the sleeves, to create the same Gypsy style effect. I judged where to cut the panels by eye and extended them by 25% (50% in total) to achieve a fuller sleeve.
- On the back bodice I lowered the neckline by 2cms. I left the front neckline as original to create a peasant, laced-up effect.
- In order to prevent toile fabric wastage I cut the skirt panel pieces in single sections, ignored the grainline and didn’t cut it on the fold. I intend to cut on the fold in my final fabric and think about the grainline.
- I became aware that I didn’t allow a 1.5cm SA when I sewed the panel pieces together (which should have been cut on the fold.)
- I gathered the middle and lower panels by using 2 rows of a (tacking) machine stitch. These rows were sewn either side of the 1.5cm SA line to allow me to use a 1.5cm SA when stitching the panels together. (photo)
- I sewed the panels together and unpicked the lower tacking stitch (because it was visible) and then over locked all edges to neaten.
- I sewed both side seams together (1.5 SA) and overlocked the edges.
- I cut out the bodice pattern pieces and sewed the shoulder seams together. I then sewed the sleeves to the arm holes. I the sewed the side seams and sleeve seams (I used the same Gypsy style effect as the skirt when making the sleeves.)
- I joined the bodice to the skirt by turning the skirt inside out and placing the bodice (right side to right side) inside the skirt. I pinned and machine stitched (1.5cm SA) the two together. I overlocked the edges for neatness.